Tuesday 3 December 2013

Za haul + Q. & A. [Part i.]

Recently I bought new products from Za (picture at the end of this post, so read on!) 

First, why do I believe in Za?

1. I am in my 20s. 

I don't need too many potent products when my skin is still youthful. This is because your skin probably heals faster and looks great by itself already, even if you have a few scars. Your youthful glow and smile will cover up all these blemishes...

...And if you are concerned that your blemishes make you less attractive, don't fuss over them. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter probably see through it. Buy products that matters to you and your beliefs, not what you think matters to other people. In the long haul, it's probably better for both your wallet and mind.

As Za always feels so mild, you can be assured that you are not desensitizing your skin to the richer and more potent products as you age.

2. I am on a budget.

I want value for my buck, and Za has always delivered it consistently- for the past 7 years!
Warning: Nonetheless, if I were to go for products targeting specific problems such as anti-aging or whitening, I will not use Za as my skin does not suit the Za whitening product line. However, if you want basic, moisturising care and make up, Za is the drugstore brand to go to.

Even if the Za product doesn't work, I can toss it without feeling too guilty.

3. I need a mild range of products to use on days I am not pampering my skin. 

I think Za products are immensely underrated. While they do not feel as miraculously brightening or as luxurious as concoctions from certain expensive brands,  must emphasise that Za is great for basic moisturising of skin. And it works, because when you do not expect something great to happen, you will not fall prey to confirmation bias.

For example, if I use a whitening product, I'm going to look very hard for whitened areas. Or products that claim to increase your 'radiance'. It's impossible and will drive you crazy! Whereas, for moisturisers, you can just feel your skin, and notice changes happening slowly. Whether it is less pimples or a smoother surface, it's much more objective, and that's why I believe in my judgement of Za.

There are some days I do not want to burden my skin with too many creams. And there's the outbreak of zits from PMS or stress, that drives us crazy. I recommend dropping the powerful serums and potent creams that could irritate your skin further with heaviness, and a multitude of chemicals and herbs. You should look no further than Za for your daily needs. Dab on the Za toner and liquid moisturiser, then top if off with a moisturising gel of your choice to lock in the fluids.

Well it won't make your skin feel like a million bucks unlike the Laneige Water Sleeping Pack Ex, but I can assure you that it does the job well. Every. Single. Day. By the way, did you know that you should not use sleeping packs everyday anyway?

Now that I have stated the three reasons why I like Za, there is another important question:

Why do I not post before and after pictures, but only photos of the product?

I have a few reasons for not doing this...

1. I do not see a point. 

I know some bloggers do that, but I honestly don't see a point.

The before and after pictures frequently do not have much difference.

Even if they do, it could just be a trick of the light (and they usually are). Even science experiments can be wrong and subject to confirmation bias. We will scour the picture to look for what we want to see in the product. We will even fool ourselves into thinking things like, "Well her skin DOES look better after!" in order to justify our purchase. This is proven in consumer behavioural studies that we frequently justify our odd purchases to remain psychologically consistent.

This brings me to the next point:

2. We lack a control

A control is a part of any scientific experiment. Nothing is done to it to increase the reliability of results achieved from the single changed variable.

For example, I apply only La Mer cream to half my face, and leave the other side untouched for the next 6 months to prove that the cream works... But honestly, and realistically, who does that?

Logically, this drastically reduces the reliability of the results of before and after pictures.

Moreover, it is rather obvious to me that the side of the face that received more pampering will always look better, regardless of whether La Mer is really worth the price!

You will still use La Mer anyway, simply because of the prestige of the brand, and your belief that it will make you look better... And it makes you feel happier on a day to day basis. Nothing really matters if it makes you happy.

3. If there is no adverse reaction worthy of a picture to warn people of the product, then it is likely that my before and after picture will not affect your judgement. 

Out of ten people, there will probably be one, ore more people who have achieved exceptional results with the cream. That's why we have celebrity endorsements and paid blog advertisements!

Now, assuming that everyone else did not suffer allergic reactions or nasty results, but enjoyed some measure of success, surely we will still buy the cream hoping that we can look like that one person. There's nothing to lose anyway, if our worst case scenario still improves the status quo.

Thus, having a before and after picture of the product will not help you make a better choice. Rather, I hope to use words to describe the product and give you an objective picture of whether it really works.

What are some questions influencing my beliefs on beauty reviews, if I do not rely on photographic 'evidence'?

1. The most important thing to me is how this product makes you feel. 

Does your skin feel tighter?

Does it feel smoother and bouncier?

These are things that you can't really see, unless you have surgical intervention. And you need to be objective about whether the product is really delivering on its promise, to avoid putting nonsensical and damaging products on your face that does nothing, but take up the space where a better and more effective product could exist!

2. How the products interacts with the your habits and your other products matters more than how it makes your skin look under the slap. 

Does the product help you put your make up on smoother?

Do you get any more scar-inducing breakouts? Is this moisturiser too heavy in combination with other skin care products you own?

These can only be answered through words and not via before and after pictures.

Finally, there is no such thing as a 'miracle' cure. 

There are many, many reasons why people get breakouts or have less than ideal skin. What works to cure my skin may not work for you. Moreover, our standards differ and are culturally relative. You may have a very different ideal of 'smooth skin'. Another glaring example is that I am Asian and therefore, I enjoy using and talking about skin whitening products. Someone from the West may be befuddled by my obsession with porcelain skin.

Most flaws may merely exist in our minds as well. Honestly, how often do you really remember someone's blemishes? I am not even referring to full blown acne worthy of medical textbooks, but just what most people face on a day to day basis and battle with. We are mostly interested in only ourselves, and thus our minor flaws are always amplified in our minds. These creams and serums can only do so much to correct that flawed self image we possess, and give us a small confidence boost as long as we use the product.

In the long run, genetics, diet, environment and many other non-controllable factors will have an equally long-lasting effect as our skin care habits. I do not want to give anybody illusions on what this product can do to them, because I know that many of these miracles only exist in the mind's eye and photographs serve to create that illusion.

I aim to seek to address how products make my skin feel, I test them to see if they are safe, and recommend them for occasions and frequency of usage. That way, I can give more objective reviews based on my experiences, without resorting to image editing or special effects. And the most important is for you to test it out yourself, for a happier purchase.

Alright, next post will be my reviews of the individual products!

To be reviewed in the next post

No comments:

Post a Comment